Saturday, February 28, 2015

That first time I actually went in.

I'm not a makeup kinda gal. I don't know how to put on eyeliner. I don't know how to pick a good shade of red lipstick-not that I would wear it if I did. I don't curl my eyelashes or fill in my brows. I have maybe four solid ways of fixing my hair. I've just never been that girl. I did decide, on a whim last weekend, to just go for it. 
Sephora has always been one of those stores for me. The kind of stores where you linger in the doorway or you do nothing but take one lap around the outside aisle of the store and then you leave, head down, hoping nobody noticed you. Because, oh my goodness, overwhelming is an understatement! I had quite the proverbial come to Jesus meeting that day. You see, 31 was hovering in the shadows. I decided to just pull it in to the light and pull up my big girl panties. I was going into Sephora and I was going to seek out help and a makeover. 
The people? They were nice! These people with this pretty faces who looked straight out of a magazine were friendly and didn't look at me like I had three heads. I was assigned to a Sephora magician named Kristin. I told her my woes and my "I hate make-up but I don't want to hate it and I've never walked to the center of this store" story. She was kind. She talked me through the process and explained as she went. She let me do some of my face and showed me every step of the process. I told her up front I didn't want to look like a I took a frosting tool and caked makeup on my face. I also told her I didn't want my face to take more than five minutes. She was good with that on one condition; that my "date night" look was allowed to take at least fifteen. I was okay with that. 

Of course, I took before and after. I think it's hilarious that the after picture just screams deer in headlights, but that is kind of how I felt because I had no idea who this person was staring back at me. 

Before. 

Getting the gunk off. This was equally cool and gross.

Super clean face!
Day look. Basic is my favorite. 
Date night prep. 

Deer in headlights. Date night look. 

The magic.

So, I am no longer scared of Sephora. I'm actually likely to shop there more often. The people I came in contact with were friendly and knowledgable. I came away with the BB cream by Boscia and the concealer by NARS. I did end up with two lip pencils by NARS for my birthday, so that was pretty awesome too! 
My wish list includes the Peter Thomas Roth exfoliant which price wise wasn't terrible and this awesome face cream by Algenist which was super pricey. 
If you're like me and "beauty stores" scare the britches off of you I suggest just going for it. Go for it with a friend and tag team. The staff in those stores are there to actually help you, contrary to what most people think. I just went in on a whim and came out a happy girl. Step out of your make-up, or lack thereof, rut and just go for it! 




*this post is my opinion. I have not been compensated in anyway. I just wanted to share a good experience.*

No comments:

Post a Comment