Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pretending.

When you make plans sometimes life gets in the way of them.  Most often life is going to try and get in the way.  This weekend was mine and Josh's 5th anniversary.  We had plans to go away.  We were going to whisk away to Asheville or Charleston and just be a couple for the weekend.  No schedule, no kids, no having to get up in the middle of the night for one reason or another, no...well, you get the picture.  That didn't happen.  Life got in the way.  Imagine that.
Did I get upset about it?  Yes, a little bit.  I got over it.
I dropped the girls off after work on Friday, with a few less tears than the last time, and headed out for our anniversary weekend "stay cation".  Josh and I ordered a pizza from Dominos (hello! 50% any pizza, so of course we were game) and rented a movie.  We relished being able to watch an entire movie with no interruptions.  A full nights sleep followed.  I can't tell you how amazing that was.  Neither of us have had a full nights sleep in weeks and you could tell it was starting to wear on us.
On Saturday we used a Groupon to the Pewter Rose Bistro for brunch and decided to pretend we were in Charleston.  The weather was unimaginably amazing, we had no difficulty pretending we were in Charleston.  After a relaxed and slow brunch we headed to the farmers' market down the road and walked around, then Josh bought me a bunch of fresh flowers (my favorite).
This weekend was an eye opener for me.  I have been trying to decrease my need for "stuff", to decrease my need for things other than what I have.  I did not allow myself to get upset and angry that we didn't get to whisk away, that we didn't get to drive some 3 hours, get away from our house and our town and enjoy ourselves. We had an amazing time.  We woke up Sunday morning rested and rejuvenated, and all lovey dovey.  Just how we would have been had we gone somewhere.
So, lesson learned.  I look forward to many more "stay cations" with my husband and the girls.  I wouldn't say no to a real one either though.  Just sayin'.      

No comments:

Post a Comment