Sunday, November 18, 2012

It's never not a struggle.

We've been doing a study at church on Psalm 73.  It has reminded me of a time when I was in a deep dark place.  Of being so depressed and angry and bitter and confused that I just wanted it all to go away.  I even tried to make it go away once.  The Lord had different plans.  In my mind I had done everything right, in the right order and the right way, but in my selfish mind I wasn't getting what I wanted.  The internal struggle took me to a dark place.  A place so dark that any form of light was so bright I had to turn my head; I was in the dark for a very long time.
The thing about depression for me is, it never goes away.  It just manifests differently.  For the most part I have been able to keep it at bay.  However, there are days and sometimes weeks that the dark makes itself known again.  The dark is a sneaky booger.  It creeps up from behind and veils me in its invisible darkness.  Thankfully, Josh has been with me for a very long time and knows what the invisible darkness looks like, in spite of its invisibility.
This last week or so has been one of those weeks.  It wasn't surprising that the darkness covered me this week.  Sleep has evaded me, Kyra Mae has been sick and the end of the semester is upon me.  My adrenaline was keeping me going and that is usually when the darkness strikes.  It's different now in it's manifestation then it was before babies.  I am easily frustrated with Josh and the girls, I do not want to be around anybody but I need to be around people, I need sleep but I tend to play the martyr role and stay up grumbling about not having any help even when I do.
One thing I notice when the darkness comes is that I have not been doing my Bible reading and journaling.  When I am not pushing into my Lord and my relationship with Him, I begin the slide down the proverbial slippery slope.  The awesome thing about knowing that fact is seeing God's grace in it all.  Looking back and realizing that in all these years of my struggles with depression I can look back and see God's grace.  He is truly sufficient, if I just remember to let Him be. Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Rici. There is a connection between our joy and our pressing into him...praying that He will be your strength and portion today.

    ReplyDelete