Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday with Words.

This started out as a "Wordless Wednesday" post but there are words to go along with it.  I'm calling it a "Wednesday with Words" post.



Teagan came with me to vote last night.  I felt led to bring her with me so we can teach her, by example, to exercise her right.  The right that men and women died for.  I told her just that.  I explained what I did at every step and then when we got to the booth I told her about the soldiers that fought for Mommy to be able to do this.  For her to be able to do this when she was old enough. I explained how important it was for her to know about what she would vote for.  To educate herself.  To look at both sides of the argument.  I told her to make sure the vote was hers and nobody else's.  I told her it was okay if she struggled with her choice until she put pen to paper or finger to computer screen.  I told her Mommy and Daddy would be proud of her no matter what.
I know she is only 2 and probably won't remember much about this day other than she got a sticker.  We will continue to take her with us when we vote and Kyra Mae will make the journey with us next time.  I want them both to know the importance of voting.  The importance of struggling with a difficult decision.  The importance of educating themselves and making their own decision.  How else will they learn, if we don't teach them?  

and
 then, she {snapped}

1 comment:

  1. We're soo proud of you both! Plus, I got to show everyone at Wilmington that my oldest grandbaby had voted.... hit 'em right where I wanted to when they said, "We didn't!" LYA, Dad

    ReplyDelete