Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Years Resolution #2

My first resolution was to read a book a month.  So far I've accomplished 1/12 of my goal.  I finished reading Wicked and I'm going to start my second book of the year after this week. 
My second resolution is to get healthier. Mind. Body. Soul.
In years past I have wanted to lose weight, some times at any cost.  In years past I have vowed to go down a size in clothes.  I've declared I'm going to read my Bible more. I've declared I'm going to have more quiet time.  There are so many things I was just determined to do but for all the wrong reasons.  I've wanted to to them for vain reasons.  I wanted to look good. I wanted to be skinnier. I wanted to be better for Me, Me, Me.  It had nothing to do with health.  Obviously, vanity is not the best foundation for anything and so most of those attempts have failed.  This year my goal stems from wanting to be healthy. 
I've decided to look at it in a whole new light.  I want to be a healthy and confident woman.  I want to be genuinely okay with the way I look.  How I think and who I am.  I want to set an example for Teagan.  For the woman I want her to grow up with and look up to as she becomes a woman.  My aim this year is to be more like the Proverbs 31 woman.  For those of you who don't know the reference just crack open your Bible or Google Proverbs 31 vs. 10-31 and take a minute to read it.  To sum up the idea of the Proverbs 31 woman she serves her God, her family and her friends while being able to clean the house and cook a good meal and manage the household.  To be quite honest it sounds a little daunting but I think it's more about priorities.  I think if my priorities are in order then the rest just kind of falls into place.
Here are a few comparisons of the Proverbs 31 woman and how I pledge to put them into play:

The Proverbs 31 woman's husband finds her capable and he is fully confident in her.  She encourages her husband and loves him.
*my pledge is to encourage my husband more daily.  to think about what I say before I say it and remember that what I say has more meaning to him then I sometimes admit.  just because I've had a bad day doesn't mean I should bring it home and take it out on him.
The Proverbs 31 woman is a hard worker.  She makes meals for her family that are healthy and good for them.  She makes wise decisions for her family in her purchasing and homemaking.
*my pledge is to continue to find ways to bring healthy food into our home.  since Teagan is eating more table food I have be sure to bring in healthy to continue her incredible food intake.  I pledge to make wiser decisions in the money that I am responsible for.  I have a tendency to see the word sale and instantly want to buy, buy, buy.  I pledge to cut more coupons and be more conscience when it comes to spending our money. 
The Proverbs 31 woman is a giver to others that are not just family.
*we are working on this.  we want to instill the value of giving in Teagan but I pledge to increase our volunteer and giving tendencies too.  I also take this as keeping up and maintaining friendships.  I don't want to let my friendships fall in the cracks. So, I pledge to nurture new and old friendships of mine.
The Proverbs 31 woman is a sewer and a clothes maker.
*this is one aspect of the Proverbs 31 woman that I'm not planning on attempting to be like.  Sewing is not my forte and it only frustrates me and makes all those other things not happen or at least not happen happily so we're pushing the sewing aspect aside. For now at least.
The Proverbs 31 woman loves her God, cares for her family and her friends.  She is a woman that her husband admires and her children respect.
*I want to set my priorities in order.  I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman. 

The Proverbs 31 woman is somebody who carries herself like a woman should.  She didn't worry about her fashion being the latest or most expensive but she looked fashionable anyway.  Her thoughts were doing for others and not selfishly doing for herself or doing things with herself in mind.  My resolution is to take this woman and look at her as an example of how I should be and how I want others to see me.  I want to be strong. I want to be confident. I want to be healthy. Mind. Body. Soul. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment