Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: "Goodbye Jimmy Choo"

The whole book review thing kind of went out the window after I found out I was pregnant.  Most nights I was too exhausted to keep my eyes open after putting Teagan to bed.  Recently I've had a bit of energy and decided I would take advantage of it.  I went to the library determined to get a light and easy read and as I was rummaging through the shelves my eye caught the the words "Jimmy Choo".  Hello! Instant attraction.  I pulled the book off the shelf and after reading the back thought it was just what I was looking for.  I was right. 

The Book: Goodbye Jimmy Choo
The Author: Annie Sanders




I've never read anything by Annie Sanders.  I have no idea who she is but I will probably be checking in on other possible works she's created. 
This book is an easy read.  To me it was an "I am woman hear me roar" type book without going over the top.  When faced with hardship the two heroines in this book found their niche and trudged on.  Coming out triumphantly.  I liked the fact they both had children they were taking care of while overcoming the obstacles they were facing.  It really took on the old adage that it takes a village.
The book is based on 2 women who moved from the city and by chance end up friends.  One is an impeccable dresser who could step straight off the pages of Vogue.  The other is looked at as below par by the society women.  Both were moved to the city becasue of their husbands jobs.  Tragedy strikes and the women become instant best friends.  They bring out the strengths in each other and carry each other when their faults overpower them.  They find a future in old recipes and run with it.  It comes down to whether the fame/fortune and working hard to find a balance is worth it or if they should just give in and let somebody else take over. 
I appreciated that the book didn't turn into a romance novel.  There is some sexual tension through a few of the pages but it's not something you would feel naughty reading.  If it had gone there I would have put it down.  I'm not a romance novel girl. 

Overall I would give this book about a B rating.  It is definitely a book you could take on a weekend beach getaway and be done by the time you got home.  It's enjoyable.  It's an easy read.  It's not something that is going to make your head hurt trying to figure out what the characters are feeling.  It is literally laid out for you.  So, if you're heading out on vacation and have a few hours in the car or to lay out on the beach or in a rocking on a back porch then head to the library and check this one out!



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

1 comment:

  1. glad you enjoyed it!
    meg (half of annie sanders!)

    ReplyDelete