Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crock Pot phenomenon

I'm still a work in progress when it comes to the crockpot phenomenon.  I have made my first really good meal in one.  I found the recipe on About.com after googling crock pot pork loin recipes.
Teagan asked for seconds on this one so I am marking it up as a successful meal.  One that we will put on our recipe list!

Once again, I did make some changes.  I'll give the original recipe and then tell you the changes I made.  In trying new recipes I've realized that I don't always have to make it like the recipe says.  I can almost always alter it with what I do have.


Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Loin

Cook Time: 9 hoursIngredients:

  • 1 boneless pork loin roast, 4 to 6 pounds
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1/3 cups brown sugar, divided
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation:

Wash pork roast, trim excess fat, pat dry, and rub with garlic halves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then prick the roast all over with a fork or skewer.In a cup or bowl, combine 1 cup of the brown sugar, the mustard, and vinegar. Rub all over the roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours. Pour off the excess juices.
combine the remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar with cinnamon; Spread the mixture over the top of the roast. Cover and continue cooking on LOW for 1 hour longer. 

What I did differently:
I didn't have balsamic vinegar, I had Apple Cider Vinegar so I used that instead. 
Also, I forgot to prick the pork but it was crazy juicy anyway.  Like fall of the nonexistent bone juicy.
I also added some onion and apple slices just for added flavor. 

2 comments:

  1. You don't actually tell us what the recipe is. We have to click on the link to discover you have adapted a Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Pork Loin recipe.

    ┼ Blessings

    ReplyDelete