Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chicken and Rice Soup


I am slowly falling in love with my crock pot. It is steadily making my life SO MUCH EASIER.  Like last night.  I tried this Chicken and Rice soup recipe and adapted it.  Basically I made an adaptation of an adaptation and ran with it.

Here is the recipe from the blog Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour (a blog I have started going to A LOT for recipes).  Afterwards I'll let you in on what I did differently.

What you need:
1 rotisserie chicken
1 box {32 oz.} chicken broth
1/4 cup lime juice (2 limes)
1 cup salsa
1 can diced tomatoes with onion
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen chopped veggies (celery, green pepper, and onion)
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/3 cup Mexican cheese
1-2 boil-in-a bag bags of rice

What you do:
First up, bring chicken broth, lime juice, and salsa to a boil.

Add in the diced tomatoes, frozen corn, and frozen chopped veggies. I definitely let the frozen items thaw out before I tossed ‘em in. Cook on medium high heat for about 10-12 minutes, reduce to low and add the shredded chicken. Cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook your rice. I’m a cheater and I always use the boil-in-a-bag version. I boiled 2 bags for this recipe. Drain and return to pot. Now take a spoonful{ish} of rice and dump it into your bowl.
Spoon a very generous helping of the soup mix on top of the rice. The more rice you add, the thicker your soup will be, so proceed with caution.

What I did differently:
First off I put all of the ingredients, other then the rice, in a crock pot and let it cook over night on low. 
I did not use the can of tomatoes/onions.  I just diced a little bit of onion instead. 
I used an Archer Farm (Target) brand salsa.
I used frozen peppers (red, yellow and green) instead of frozen celery, onion and peppers.

 
It was SO good! And when you add the rice you have plenty enough for lunch the next day!





 

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment