Friday, February 10, 2012

Modern Family.

We are currently in the beginnings of a 6 part sermon series in our church devoted to raising a family in modern day times in a biblical way.  Most specifically the way Colossians guides us. 
The session coming up is on Modern Wives.  In our culture, in this time, submission is a word that makes most women sit up straighter, adds a viciousness and resentment to their tone and has them naming all of their qualifications in whatever subject they deem most worthy.  Just to prove they've been everything but submissive. 
I was that woman.  Nobody was going to tell me what to do.  I felt as if my husband loved me he definitely wouldn't tell me what to do.  I had a daddy and once I was married he couldn't really tell me what to do either.  I wasn't going to submit to any body.  If submission happened it was going to happen with me kicking and screaming and pulling out my Tae Bo moves and...well, you get the picture.  I had a serious misconception of what Biblical submission was.
As a Christian. As a wife. As a mother. I am called to be submissive to my husband.  I will do so proudly and with my head held high.  I will not be cowaring down at his feet or in the corner of our home waiting on him to ask me for something.  I will not be shushing the girls because they might disturb their daddy.  I will not say yes and agree to every single thing that comes out of his mouth.  I will pray for him.  I will be on his side.  I will discuss things of importance with him.  I will let him guide the discipline in our household.  I will be his partner.  I will be the co-captain of his team.  I will let him lead me. I will exhibit compassion and kindess and patience with him.  Towards him.  I will submit. I will submit like Christ submitted to his Father. As we are called to submit to Christ.  To be a servant.  I am called to be a servant to my husband but he is also called to protect me. To love me. To cherish me.  To respect me.  To make me his partner.  If that is what submission looks like then I'm all in.

Ref: Colossians 3:12, 18

3 comments:

  1. What a wonder description of "submissive" - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really wait till you were married to stop doing what I told you to do? Hmmmm. Musta been napping! Great entry kiddo! We're proud of you (and Josh)! LYA, Dad

    ReplyDelete