Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father´s Day

Father´s Day this year has been a little bit of a blur.  We dropped by our home town long enough to eat with my parents and let them play with Teagan; then head to Josh´s parents long enough to grab a few molasses cookies, give Grandpa his present and then head out.  I honestly feel like we didn´t really have time to enjoy today. With Josh or our dads. 





I am truly a daddy´s girl.  Growing up it was usually just me, mom & dad.  We traveled a lot and didn´t always have extended family around so it was just the 3 of us.
My dad and I haven´t always gotten along as we do now.  We are so much alike that it definitely caused some issues over the years.  Neither of us wanted to give up the last word even if it meant saying it behind a closed door.  We are both strong willed and if we believe our opinion or information is correct then we will fight tooth and nail until the other person agrees or just gives up.  Knowing I shared this characteristic with my dad encouraged him to teach me a lesson as I was growing up.  He used to tell me I needed to learn a four letter word. TACT.  It took me a long time but I think I´ve almost got it down!
Another amazing thing my dad taught me was how a man is supposed to treat women; especially his wife.  I have seen the way my dad has loved my mom over the last 27 years (27 for me, 30 for them).  I see the way he looks at her in a way that shows he is just as in love with her now as he was 30 years ago when he married her.  He treats her with respect and if you dare talk badly about her or hurt her feelings then I pity the fool...He used to get very angry at me when my mom and I would fight.  I thought he was full of it then.  Now, I appreciate it.  I was disrespecting my mom and my dad was not going to stand for it.  I admire that now. I only wish it wasn´t 10 years too late.   
My dad has taught me to have an astounding appreciation for our military men AND women.  There have been many times over the years where we would be out and he would just thank somebody for their service if he found out they served.  This is something I have tried to put into practice.  He advocates for our military men and women and the soldiers who have served in the past.  He & my mom are true American heros in my eyes.
My dad also taught me that age is just a number.  Any time I doubt I will ever be able to go back to school because I´ll get to old I just think of my dad.  He got his degree around the same time I did.  He worked 40 plus hours and went to school. He did it and graduated with honors.  I don´t know that I´ve ever been more proud of him.
My dad´s love for the Lord has always been something I´ve admired.  Over the last few years I have been amazed at his growth.  His trust and his yearning to learn more about the Lord and his path just continues to inspire and amaze me.  He recently took a huge leap of faith and is continuing to hold fast to his trust in the Lord´s provision.  A lot of people would have given up by now but my daddy keeps holding strong.  I am so proud of him.
I can´t wait to see what kind of things Teagan and Baby Bear are going to learn from my dad.  I can only imagine...

1 comment:

  1. I love you Slick! Thank you for being a Daddy's girl! You started out as a blessing from God... and you STILL are to not only me, but now to so many others. God is GREAT! Dad

    ReplyDelete