Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dirty Dozen

We are all about local and organic at our house when we can afford it.  Sometimes, we just can't.  Or I can't make it to the farmer's market.  I do, however, go by the "Dirty Dozen" list when it comes to buying organic fruits and veggies.  Yet another reason I try to use coupons! So I can still get the good things my family needs without wondering how we are going to make it through the month.   
I found this list in a Fit Pregnancy magazine and clipped it out to keep with me when I go out shopping for groceries.  They call it the "Dirty Dozen" list.  These are the 12 foods you should be sure to try and get organic because the non-organic are usually loaded with pesticides.

1. Peaches
2. Apples
3. Sweet peppers
4. Celery
5. Nectarines
6. Strawberries
7. Cherries
8. Kale
9. Lettuce
10. Imported grapes
11. Carrots
12. Pears

*I got this list from Fit Pregnancy magazine and they sourced it from the Environmental Working Group.* 

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar list in my wallet. It is so expensive to buy organic we can't afford to buy everything, so it is nice to have a list to focus on. There is a list of the "clean" veggies too out there. They have the lowest to almost no amounts of pesticides.

    ReplyDelete